Beth Jacob Youth Education
Beth Jacob Youth Education
Iyunim: Jewish Explorations @ BJC (Age 3 – 3rd Grade)
Iyunim is Beth Jacob’s hands-on, curiosity-driven Hebrew language and Jewish learning program at 9:30 on Shabbat mornings for children age 3 – 3rd grade, plus one Sunday morning a month for their whole families. Iyunim also has optional Tuesday sessions! We will ask big questions with our children and give them the tools to know each other as partners in learning. We’ll be growing these learning environments with our children – if you’d like to learn more, ask Rabbi Tamar or D. Marcos Vital.
The values that drive the practice of our learning, in Iyunim and beyond, are these:
- We value children and adults as responsible partners in learning, together creating the next layers of our ongoing Jewish conversation.
- We value genuine listening that allows us to express and learn from multiple perspectives, creating a learning community in which each child and family is truly welcome.
- We value living in Jewish time and using Hebrew language; Jewish stories are at the center of our learning.
- We value a joyful, embodied, exploratory approach to learning, motivated by our children’s questions and curiosity.
Iyunim is supported by a grant from the Alumni Venture Fund of the Bronfman Youth Fellowships in Israel and is inspired by the Jewish Enrichment Center in Chicago.
Beth Jacob has gathered an amazing team of teachers to work with your children. We are here to make meaning with them, to share learning with them, to teach, to be delighted in our Jewish learning, and to make community. Please join us!
- 4-6th graders focus on Tefillah and Torah, exploring ideas and narratives in the text. They will deepen their understanding of how Torah becomes part of Jewish life through story, interpretation, prayer, and language. They also learn and reinforce their skills of Hebrew, trope, and tefillah.
- 7-8th graders will learn new ways to apply Jewish values in their own lives, reflecting their own new stages of life and abilities.
This learning is complementary to other Jewish learning contexts, and we do not focus on building Hebrew language skills on Shabbat mornings. We are happy to help make connections to other contexts for Jewish and Hebrew language learning – at one of the Talmud Torahs, in day school, or in one-on-one or small group learning environments.
Madrichim & Teen Sicha
Our teens are an essential part of youth learning at Beth Jacob. They help to lead youth tefillah and are madrichim in the nursery and in our older classes, working one on one and with small groups of children guided by their teachers. Our teens often read Torah and lead services in the main sanctuary, and participate in a teen sicha, a discussion on current issues and topics of interest led by our youth leaders.
For ages 0-Pre-K Every Shabbat morning at 11:30
For the four and under set: bring a parent or guardian, your voice and your dancing shoes! We join together for lively, songful tefillah; creative, parent-led learning; and even the occasional puppet show that will have your sides in stiches. Want to learn more? Ask Rabbi Tamar. Would you like to help lead? Sign up here!
For grades K-3 Every Shabbat morning at 11:30
For the four and under set: bring a parent or guardian, your voice and your dancing shoes! We join together for lively, songful tefillah; creative, parent-led learning; and even the occasional puppet show that will have your sides in stiches. Want to learn more? Ask Rabbi Tamar.
Every Shabbat morning at 11:30
For children in grades 4-7, we meet every week (even during vacations and summers) in the chapel just after the Torah service for joyful tefillah and a Torah discussion. Parents are welcome to join us if you’d like.