Our congregation’s philosophy has always been (and remains) a commitment to work with each child as an individual. We have no mold into which we try to fit every child. Rather, we hope that each child will:
- Learn how to daven part or all of the service
- Learn to layn (read) Torah
- Learn to chant a Haftarah
- Develop ideas on their portion, which will be transmitted through a D’var Torah written by the student in conjunction with Rabbi Rubin.
- Practice as directed between tutoring sessions
In our participatory congregation, we encourage the B’nai Mitzvah to take place within the context of our congregation’s service. B’nai Mitzvah students may lead up to three of the four major Shabbat services and read up to five of the seven Torah aliyot.