EXPLORE THE JEWISH WORLD IN THE BETH JACOB LIBRARY
There’s Biblical history, the Holocaust, and Israel. Shabbat and the holidays. Lives of Jews. Literature. Jewish law. Talmud and Midrash.
- The BJ Library is organized using a classification system designed for Jewish libraries. We use only the categories and subcategories posted in the library.
- Use the posted number system to find a book on the shelves. Within a given number, the books are alphabetized by author’s last name.
- Currently, we do not have a catalogue of the collection. One of the Library Committee’s goals is to create an on-line, searchable database for the collection. If you are interested in helping, please contact one of the people below.
USING THE COLLECTION
- If the book has a number on the spine, and if it is stamped PLEASE RETURN TO BETH JACOB CONGREGATION, you may borrow it.
- The BJ library operates on the honor system. To borrow a book, you simply take it with you. Please try to return the books within three weeks. But most of all, please return the book. Even if you have kept a book longer, returns are welcome — no questions asked.
Books that remain in the library
- Reference books (Encyclopedia Judaica, Talmud, siddurim, some commentaries) may be used in the BJ library, but may not be borrowed. These books do NOT have a number on the spine.
- Books on the shelf labelled “Tefillah Project” are to remain in the BJ Library for use as part of that project.
- Please return your books when you are finished with them. Remember that these are a resource that the community shares.
- Please DO NOT reshelve book(s) you are returning. Place your book on the edge of one of the shelves, and the Library Committee will return it to its proper place.
While donations are welcome, the BJ Library has limited space. If you want to donate books, please contact the Library Committee to check if the book is needed. With few exceptions, we are trying to avoid duplications. Please check with the Beth Jacob office before dropping off books so that we can arrange storage for them until we can process them.
Lydia Schultz: lydia.a.schultz AT gmail DOT com
Penny Simison: penelopesimison AT comcast DOT net